The first written reference to the domain of Giscours, a deed confirming the sale of the estate, dates from 1330 and refers to a fortified keep. Prior to the French Revolution Giscours belonged to the Saint-Simon family before it was confiscated, and then bought by two Americans in 1793, John Gray and Jonathan Davis of Boston.
Giscours’ great era began with the purchase of the property by the banker Count de Pescatore in 1845, who in 1847 hired Pierre Skawinski to manage his estate. Skawinski was one of the greatest agriculturalists of Médoc in the 19th century, and was instrumental in making Giscours one of the most reputable third growths. In 1995, Château Giscours’ wine growing business activities were acquired by Eric Albada Jelgersma.